Chocolate Lava Cakes
These delicious individual lava cakes can be prepared ahead of time.
- 10 x 3/4-cup ramekins
- 10 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate such as Bernard Callebaut
- 10 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 c sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- pinch salt
- 1/2 c flour
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Butter and flour ramekins.
- Melt chocolate and butter over double boiler, stirring occasionally; remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Beat sugar, eggs, yolks and salt in large bowl with electric mixer, about 6 minutes.
- Sift flour over mixture and fold in.
- Gradually fold in chocolate mixture.
- Divide batter among prepared ramekins. (Can be prepared ahead to this point: cover ramekins individually with plastic and refrigerate up to one day or freeze up to one week.
- Place ramekins on cookie sheet and bake in middle of oven until puffed and beginning to crack on top – centres will be soft, about 18 minutes.
- Serve by running a knife around the edge of the cakes and inverting onto individual plates; serve with a scoop of vanilla fro-yo.