A very easy pie crust makes for a very quick dessert.
Servings 1 9″ pie crust
Dough for 1 x 9" pie
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 c + 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1/4 c milk
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c cornstarch
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 c blueberries
- 1 dough recipe as above
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cream
- 1 tbsp sugar coarse is best if you have it.
- Whisk together the flour, salt and sugar.
- Cut in shortening with 2 knives or pastry cutter.
- Drizzle the milk over the flour and mix together with a fork; don't over mix. Form into a ball.
- Sprinkle a little flour over a clean tea towel and place the ball of dough in the centre.
- Roll dough out until it is slightly larger than the size of your pie plate.
- Use the tea towel to help place dough over pie plate; cut extra dough and fix any holes.
- Bring to a boil the sugar, cornstarch, zest, spices and 1/2 the blueberries – simmer for five minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add remaining blueberries and spoon into prepared crust.
- Refrigerate until lattice dough is ready.
- Prepare dough as above and roll out.
- Cut 10 x 3/4 " strips.
- Place 5 strips evenly spaced over the filled pie.
- Carefully fold back strips #2 and #4 and lay another strip perpendicular to them. Unfold #2 and #4 over new strip. Carefully fold back #1 #3 and #5 and lay a 2nd perpendicular strip. Continue in this fashion, keeping spacing even.
- Trip extra hanging strip dough to 3/4" and tuck under the edge of the pie. Pinch edge of pie to make a pretty edge.
- Mix egg with cream and brush over pie dough.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Refrigerate 2 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 400F – position oven racks to lower 3rd of oven and place a baking sheet on the rack.
- Bake chilled pie on hot baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350F and continue to bake for 40-50 minutes. If browning too quickly, place a piece of foil over pie.
- Cool 2-3 hours before cutting to allow filling to set.
To make the recipe vegan, just use non-dairy milk and skip the lattice egg wash. Also, the lattice strips will be wider than what’s showing in the picture – I had used 1 batch of dough for 2 pies, so had to make strips thinner.