Incredibly moist and easy
Servings 1 9″ double layer
- 9" baking pans
- 2 c flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1¼ c vegetable oil
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3 c peeled and grated carrots (about 5-6 medium)
- optional: 1 c chopped pecans and/or ½ c raisins
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ c butter, softened
- 4 ½ c powdered sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 F
- Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until well blended.
- In separate bowl, whisk oil, sugars and vanilla. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to oil/sugar/vanilla/eggs mixture in batches, incorporating fully after each addition.
- Stir in the carrots (and nuts/raisins if using)
- Divide cake between the two cake pans and bake 35-45 minutes, or until cake tops are springy when touched, and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes then turn out onto cooling racks
- Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth, about two minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat another 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- If you find frosting is too thick, add 1 tbsp cream or milk.