Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Perfect soup for a fall afternoon.
- Immersion or other blender
- 1 large butternut squash (approx 2 lbs)
- 1½ tbsp oil (preferably coconut or avocado) divided
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbl curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 c broth of choice
- 2 Tbl maple syrup
- 1 tsp chili garlic paste (Sambal Oelek)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Line baking sheet with foil
- Cut the squash in half, scoop out seeds; brush with oil, sprinkle with s&p, then place cut side down on baking sheet and roast for 1.25 hours. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and chop pulp.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Cook onions with garlic about 3-4 minutes.
- Add squash, curry powder and cinnamon; stir to coat. Cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut milk, broth, syrup and sambal oelek.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth and creamy.
- Simmer on low until ready to serve.