Butternut Squash Soup
This is an excellent soup, the fresh thyme and sage are definitely key ingredients. Also, don't skip the Gruyere croutons, the results are well worth the effort!!
- 2 lbs butternut squash
- 2 lbs acorn squash
- 1/4 c butter
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves chopped
- 3 cans vegetable broth (14.5 oz cans)
- 1/4 c fresh thyme or 1 1/4 tsp dried
- 1/4 c fresh sage or 1 1/4 tsp dried
- 1 1/4 c whipping cream
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp fresh thyme minced
- 1 tsp fresh sage minced
- 24 slices baguette – 1/4"
- 1 c Gruyere cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut the butternut and acorn squash in half and bake for 1.25 hours. When cooled, scoop out pulp.
- Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, squash and herbs.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender; return to pot.
- Sir in cream and sugar; bring to simmer.
- Season with salt an pepper
- Butter 1 side of each bread slice and place, buttered side up, on baking sheet.
- Broil until golden, about 1 minute.
- Turn over, sprinkle with cheese, thyme and sage.
- Broil until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
- Top soup bowls with 3 croutons.