Cream of Asparagus Soup
A skinny but tasty version
- 2 lbs asparagus
- 2 sweet onions (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 c broth, either chicken or vegetable, fat free and low sodium
- 1 c milk
- 1 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- dash cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- Garnish: cayenne and parmesan
- Steam asparagus until tender, about 20 minutes; cool 15 minutes.
- Sauté onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add onion, garlic and cooled asparagus to a food processor or use an immersion blender and pulse until pureed.
- Add puree to large pot along with with broth and seasoning. Bring to a boil on medium heat; reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add milk and continue to cook until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with a dash of cayenne and sprinkle of parmesan.