Beet and Cucumber Salad with Creamy Horseradish Dressing
This is the reason I began to like beets! Roast ’em and you’ll love ’em!
- 2 large beets (trimmed)
- 2 bunches watercress (tough stems trimmed)
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 16 slices English cucumber, unpeeled (sliced into 1/3-inch rounds)
- 4 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp horseradish – extra hot
- 1 1/4 tsp sugar
- S & P (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Wrap beets in foil and bake until tender, about 1 hr 15 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Slice each beet into 8 rounds.
- Dressing: Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Beets and dressing can be made to this point one day ahead; cover separately and chill.
- Toss watercress with corn oil and vinegar in large bowl.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Divide watercress among 4 plates.
- Overlap beet slices and cucumber slices atop watercress.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve.