Chocolate Pepper Pistachio Biscotti
These are a Christmas tradition in our house. Double the batch, you'll thank me later!
Servings 48 cookies
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks divided
- 2 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 c flour
- 3/4 c cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbl pepper (use less if you're scared!)
- 1 1/2 c shelled pistachios
- 1 pkg milk chocolate chippits for a sweet tooth, or semi-sweet if not
- Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs one of the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla until sugar is almost dissolved.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, pepper and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into eggs mixture.
- Stir in pistachios and chippits.
- Divide dough into thirds.
- On a lightly floured counter, roll out each third into a 15" log. (You might have to add more flour in order to get the consistency of being able to roll the dough)
- Place on prepared baking sheets; press down with hand to flatten.
- Stir remaining egg yolk with 2tbsp water brush over top of cookie logs.
- Bake for 25 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven and let cool on pan for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325F
- While still warm, slice biscotti diagonally into 1/2 " slices.
- Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets; bake for 20 minutes longer.
- Let cool on pans on racks – biscotti will harden as they cool.