Chili for a Crowd
This is the chili we serve at the January 1st Polaris Bear Swims.
- 2 tbsp olive oil ((1/2 c))
- 2 small onions, chopped ((8))
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage meat ((2 lbs))
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef ((8 lbs))
- 1 tsp pepper ((1 1/2 tbsp))
- 1 can tomato paste ((4 cans))
- 1 tbsp minced garlic ((1/4 c))
- 2 tbsp cumin ((1/2 c))
- 4 tbsp chili powder ((1 c))
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard ((1/2 c))
- 1/2 tsp salt ((1 tbsp))
- 1 tbsp dried basil ((1/4 c))
- 1 tbsp dried oregano ((1/4 c))
- 1 tbsp dried dill ((1/4 c))
- 2 cans whole plum tomatoes (796ml cans) drained ((8 cans))
- 1/8 c burgundy wine ((1/2 c))
- 1 tbsp lemon juice ((1/4 c))
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped ((1/2 c))
- 1 can dark red kidney beans rinsed & drained (540ml) ((4 cans))
- 1/2 can pitted black olives, drained ((2 cans))
- shredded cheddar
- green onions
- sour cream
In a large pot, wilt onions in olive oil.
Add sausage meat and begin to brown.
Add chopped ground beef; brown everything well. When meat is sufficiently browned, skim off excess fat.
Add pepper, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chili powder, dijon, salt, basil, oregano and dill and stir well.
Add drained tomatoes, wine, lemon juice parsley and kidney beans.
Stir gently and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Just before serving, add olives.