Chili for a Crowd
This is the chili we serve at the January 1st Polaris Bear Swims.
Servings 10 (quantity in brackets serves 40)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (1/2 c)
- 2 small onions, chopped (8)
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage meat (2 lbs)
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef (8 lbs)
- 1 tsp pepper (1 1/2 tbsp)
- 1 can tomato paste (4 cans)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (1/4 c)
- 2 tbsp cumin (1/2 c)
- 4 tbsp chili powder (1 c)
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard (1/2 c)
- 1/2 tsp salt (1 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp dried basil (1/4 c)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano (1/4 c)
- 1 tbsp dried dill (1/4 c)
- 2 cans whole plum tomatoes (796ml cans) drained (8 cans)
- 1/8 c burgundy wine (1/2 c)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (1/4 c)
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped (1/2 c)
- 1 can dark red kidney beans rinsed & drained (540ml) (4 cans)
- 1/2 can pitted black olives, drained (2 cans)
- shredded cheddar
- green onions
- sour cream
- In a large pot, wilt onions in olive oil.
- Add sausage meat and begin to brown.
- Add chopped ground beef; brown everything well. When meat is sufficiently browned, skim off excess fat.
- Add pepper, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chili powder, dijon, salt, basil, oregano and dill and stir well.
- Add drained tomatoes, wine, lemon juice parsley and kidney beans.
- Stir gently and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, add olives.