Greek Sausage and Pasta Bake
with zucchini and creamy sauce
Servings 4 servings
- 500 g mild Italian sausage, uncased
- 340 g rigatoni cooked per box, drain but reserve 1 c pasta water
- 400 g zucchini chopped
- 1 handful parsley chopped, divided
- 1 large onion chopped, divided
- 740 ml can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¾ c sour cream
- 1 c Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 c milk
- 2 tsp sugar
- olive oil
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in oven proof pan over medium-high heat. Cook zucchini, half the onion and half Italian seasoning until tender-crisp (about 3-4 minutes). Remove from heat and transfer to plate.
- Tomato Sauce: Heat same pan over med-high heat and add 1 tbsp oil. Cook sausage until no longer pink; add remaining Italian seasoning and cook for 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes and sugar and cook over medium heat until sauce is slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.
- Cream Sauce: While tomato sauce cooks, heat used pasta pot over medium heat and then add butter and remaining onions. Cook sltirring often until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over and cook, stirring often, until onions are coated, about 1 minute. Add milk and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in sour cream and season with S & P.
- Finish: To the tomato sauce, add reserved pasta water, veggies and half parsley and toss to combine. Pour into slightly oiled 9×13 baking dish. Spread cream sauce on top of pasta then sprinkle with Parmesan. Broil in the middle of oven until golden brown. Garnish with remaining parsley when plating.