Firecracker Lettuce Wraps
A staple in our house.
Servings 6 servings
- Cast iron pan
- 4 oz brown rice noodles
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu pressed and drained
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 red pepper julienned
- 1 c mushrooms sliced
- 1 med onion julienned
- 1 can chick peas drained and rinsed
- lettuce leaves for wrapping
- 1/2 c peanut butter
- 1/3 c low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 c rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp chili paste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- peanuts , cashews, green onions, lime wedges chopped, sliced and squeezed as necessary
- Soak rice noodles in lukewarm water for at least 30 minutes while prepping rest of recipe.
- In a small NutriBullet, blend sauce ingredients until smooth; set aside.
- Toss cubed tofu with cornstarch.
- Heat cast iron skillet with a little sesame oil on med-high; add tofu and sauté, stirring often, until golden and crispy, about 35-40 minutes. Remove tofu to a bowl.
- In same skillet, add another swish of sesame oil and sauté pepper, mushrooms, onion and chick peas, until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes; add to tofu bowl along with 1/2 the sauce.
- Drain and rinse noodles.
- Add another swish of oil to heated pan and add the noodles and remaining 1/2 sauce. Stir for a minute or two until coated. If you find the noodles are too sticky, add a little water.
- Remove noodles from heat and add back tofu and veggies.
- Fill lettuce leaves with the noodle/tofu mixture; top with garnish.
When doubling the amount of tofu, only increase the amount of sauce by 1/4 or 1/2… this recipe makes a lot of sauce.